Starting a New Business
Dear Business owner,
On behalf of the Fire Prevention Bureau (FPB), I would like to welcome you and your business to the Village of River Grove. If at anytime there is anything that the bureau can do to assist you please feel free to contact us. When you have read these requirements and have submitted your business license application, please contact the Fire Prevention Bureau to schedule a Fire and Life Safety Survey (this is not an inspection). A Fire and Life Safety Survey needs to be completed prior to any construction, remodeling, or occupying the business space.
At a minimum you will be required to have the following at the time of your final inspection:
- Fire Extinguishers
- Correct classification and coverage
- Properly mounted Current inspection tags
- Knox Box
- This is a key box you will need to install on the outside of your business near the main entrance. Only the River Grove Fire Department (RGFD) will have access to the Knox Box. The Knox Box allows the fire department to gain access to your building in an emergency situation without doing unnecessary damage. A Knox Box can be ordered online. Once the Knox Box is installed you will need to contact the RGFD to secure the Knox Box.
- Visible Address
- Numbers shall be a minimum of 6 inches and of contrasting color. Address must be visible from the street.
- New Commercial Fire Alarm System
- A commercial fire alarm system shall be installed by a reputable fire protection contractor. The fire alarm system shall be monitored by a reputable monitoring company. Prior to installation a set of fire alarm system plans shall be submitted to the FPB for review and approval. Please have your contractor contact the FPB for requirements.
- Existing Commercial Fire Alarm System
- If your business has an existing commercial fire alarm system, the system shall be tested and certified by a reputable fire protection contractor. The fire alarm system shall be monitored by a reputable monitoring company. A set of fire alarm system plans shall be submitted to the FPB for review and approval prior to any modifications to the system. Please have your contractor contact the FPB for requirements.
Once again thank you for choosing the Village of River Grove for the home of your business. We look forward to helping you keep your business, employees, and customers safe. Should you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact us.
Lt. Adam Traylor