Senior & Disabled Services
Upcoming Area Events
Wellness Fair, September 27th
Casa San Carlo, 420 N. Wolf Road in Northlake, invites area seniors to take charge of their health during its free annual Wellness Fair planned for Thursday, September 27th, from 10:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
The fair will feature:
- Balance and grip test analysis
- Blood pressure and glucose screenings
- Hand massages
- Nutritious and delicious snacks
- Fee flu shots (Bring your Medicare card)
- Free exercise classes such Yoga and Tai Chi every half hour
To RSVP or for more information about the fair, please call (708) 409-2112.
Senior Fair, October 25th
River Grove Senior Citizens Club
Want to make some new friends and participate in a variety of exciting activities? The River Grove Senior Citizens Club could be just what you are looking for. If you are a senior citizen of 55 years or above, you are welcome to join this fun-loving and energetic group.
Meetings are held on the first and third Mondays of each month at Noon at the American Legion Recreation Center at 8664 W. Grand Avenue. Activities include trips, entertainment, bingo, card games and more.
More Senior Citizens Club Information
For more information, you are welcome to stop by or just call 708-453-8000.
Grass Cutting and Snow Removal Programs
River Grove Senior Citizens qualify for special rates when it comes to basic landscaping and snow removal. Click here for more information about the program.
River Grove Senior Citizens are welcome to join us at our workout classes held four times each week. Classes offered include:
Zumba is a Latin inspired dance fitness workout held on Mondays from 7:30pm to 8:30pm.
A combination of Boxing, Dance & Pilates, Piloxing is held on Wednesdays from 7:30pm to 8:30pm.
A combination of Pilates and Yoga, PiYo is held on Thursdays from 7:30pm to 8:30pm.
This class is held on Saturdays from 10am to 11am.
For more information on exercise class cost and locations, please click here.
River Grove Library
Starting in August, the River Grove Library will be offering a "Take Charge of Your Health program.
The workshops are FREE to adults 60+ and their caregivers and will include six consecutive weekly sessions led by certified facilitators who have experience with ongoing health conditions. The sessions will begin on August 7th and will conclude on September 11th. Each session will take place at the River Grove Library (8638 W. Grand Avenue) and will run from 6:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
Topics will include:
- Problem solving around your health condition
- Coping with fatigue, frustration, and isolation related to ongoing health conditions
- Exercising to maintain and improve strength and flexibility
- Medication management
- Communicating with family, friends and health professionals
- Practicing good nutrition
- Evaluating new treatment options
- How to plan and set your own goals to improve your health and life
To register, call Jorge Perez by phone at (708) 453-4484 or by email at email@example.com.
Leyden Township Senior Services
- Blue Chip Casino, April 19th, $25 per person
- Joseph & The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, May 11th, $78 per person
- Blue Chip Casino, August 15th, $25 per person
For more information or to reserve a spot, please call Jamie at (847) 455-8616.
This new event is coming soon! Starting April 6th at 11am, the Leyden Township and Rosemont Senior Bowling League will meet once a month at the River Rand Bowl located at 191 S. River Road in Des Plaines. The cost will be $10 per person per month.
Leyden Township offers a variety of services to its Senior Citizens and the Disabled including:
- Caregiver Support Program
- Chore and Housekeeping Program
- Dial A Ride
- Emergency Lock Boxes
- Free Senior Emergency Cell Phones
- Free Tax Filing Assistance
- Handyman "Limited" Service
- Holiday Needy Programs
- Insurance Plan Comparison
- Lending Closet
- Meals on Wheels
- Medical ID bracelets
- Senior and Disabled RTA passes
- Senior and Medical Wellness checks
- Senior discount for Leyden Fitness Center
- Taxi Cab Program
- Telephone Reassurance Program
- Window A/C Installation and Removal Program
Call 847-455-8616 to learn more or visit the Leyden Township website.
Veterans Park District Seniors Club
Veterans Park District includes the section of River Grove that is south of Grand Avenue and west of River Road. Residents within those boundaries are considered in-district and may join the Veterans Park Bulger Seniors. This club offers outings, parties, luncheons, Bingo and more. The annual fee is $12 although the club charges extra for monthly lunch and Bingo cards. Meetings take place on the fourth Wednesday of the month at Bulger Park at 1601 W. Hirsch Street in Melrose Park.
Call 708-343-5270 for times and additional information.
Seniors and people with disabilities often need supportive living options. When the time comes to start considering your options for assisted living, it’s easy to become overwhelmed by the sheer number of housing options.
Please click on the link below for more information regarding your options for assisted living and how to pay for it.